Saturday, January 31, 2009

Chicken Soup Warms the Soul

I have always heard that chicken soup cures winter ills. My little tot, Natalie, has had a cough, fever, and been so hoarse today! So I thought a little chicken soup might make her feel a bit better. My first batch of homemade chicken broth didn't turn out so good, so I used store bought broth, but it was organic from those "free range" chickens. I hope that's a decent enough substitute for now.

My recipe was one of those "make it up as you go along" type things. I didn't have a whole lot in the house, so a few extras like potatoes went in too. I really wanted some celery to put in there but didn't want to drag poor little sick girl to the market.
The soup was actually pretty cheap. I had some good chicken breast (no hormones or antibiotics) and cooked up one breast in a pan with some olive oil and seasonings.

While that was cooking, I simmered three big carrots, one really big potato, two cloves of garlic, 1/2 an onion, and some pasta in the chicken broth. When the chicken was done, I shredded it up and added it to the soup and seasoned some more.

For about $6, it made a huge pot of soup and we have at least three big bowls worth of leftovers. I've already packed some up for my husband to take to work tomorrow!




Now, that's certainly not the best picture around since it was simmering and I took it with my cell phone, but it does show all the goodies inside!

We ate it steaming hot with a big hunk of fresh sourdough bread. YUM!

No comments: