Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Poem

My mom told me a few days ago that her best friend from grade school is dying of cancer. She wanted to send a card but told me that she didn't know what to say. So as I was laying down to go to sleep that evening, these words floated through my head and I put pen to paper.

Here's the result.

I thought of you today as I do once in a while

Memories of our times spent together always make me smile

The years have passed in the blink of an eye

But, my friend, I am not ready to say goodbye

Perhaps in God's garden we'll meet again someday

For your life and our memories, each day I pray

Fearful of forgetting the way we were so many years past

Fearful of a day coming that may be our last

The secrets we shared and the chances we took

Will live in my heart like an unfinished book

Across these many miles I wish you could know

That the world is not ready to let you go




Now, the funny thing is that I emailed this to my mom and she called me later to say that the poem was perfect. She wanted to know where I found a poem that had just the right words.... well, mom, I wrote it! :)

No comments: